Company 2Huguenot Volunteer Fire Department
The Huguenot Volunteer Fire Department, Incorporated has a proud history dating back to 1970.
Powhatan County was originally protected by the Powhatan Emergency Crew which operated from one station in the Courthouse area. In the mid-50’s, the ambulance portion of the Emergency Crew separated, forming the Powhatan Volunteer Rescue Squad, and the fire department was then named the Powhatan Volunteer Fire Department. The PVFD provided fire protection to all 272 square miles of the county for almost two decades.
When a group of men in the Eastern portion of the county realized a need for more immediate fire protection for their homes, they gathered for a meeting at the Holly Hills Baptist Church, and the Huguenot Volunteer Fire Department was formed. The name came from the magisterial (voting) district in which the department was located.
Land for the fire station was donated by Cecil Urbine, a charter member of the department. It was adjacent to his home located between Route 60 (now Anderson Highway) and Route 676 (now Urbine Road). Money was hard to come by for the charter members, so construction materials were donated from local contractors and acquired from a downtown factory that was getting ready to be demolished. Station construction was completed entirely by the members of the department, and for a cost of less than $6000.
The original fire apparatus were both donated by Chesterfield County. They were two pumpers that were no longer needed by our larger and wealthier neighbor. Members took many sleepless nights keeping the two trucks in working order.
The first new fire engine for the station was purchased many years later.
A new station was constructed at 1959 Urbine Road and the doors opened in November 2011. It is a state-of-the-art 15,600 square foot building with drive-thru bays, commercial kitchen, meeting room, bunk rooms, and offices for both the Powhatan Sheriff’s Department and Powhatan Volunteer Rescue Squad.