How to Apply
Thank you for your interest in becoming a Powhatan County Fire and Rescue Department Volunteer. You are beginning an incredible path of exciting and fulfilling community service. Along with personal satisfaction, other benefits of volunteering include:
- Potential college transfer credits towards a degree
- Free health physical
- Initial Training and equipment provided
- Leadership training
- Potential career path
Types of Jobs We Offer:
Firefighter:Responds to different types of fires (brush, vehicle, commercial, residential); hazardous materials incidents (spills, leaks); motor vehicle accidents and extrications; alarm activations; smoke alarm installations; medical emergencies; water rescues; and many other calls.
Emergency Medical Technician:Responds to medical emergencies, including heart problems, breathing problems, diabetic emergencies, trauma, motor vehicle accidents, and general illness calls.
Auxiliary Members:Provides assistance to the companies such as fund-raising, community service events, delivering food and drink to personnel at major incidents, and general administrative work.
What to Expect in Your First Year:
Training in Firefighter 1 and/or Emergency Medical Technician
Hazardous Materials Response training
Emergency Vehicle Operations
National Incident Management Systems training (on-line)
Participation in monthly company meetings
Participation in training drills; community events/stand-bys for large events
While your application is being processed
…you can start your training today!! Just follow these directions and links to begin you journey into public safety!
Create a FEMA Student ID (FEMA SID)
Begin your training
IS-100.B: Introduction to Incident Command System
IS-200.B: ICS for Single Resources and Initial Action Incidents
How to apply
- Open the form-fillable application package
- Complete all information
- Print and sign the package
- Scan and send the application to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line reading “application for Recruitment officer” OR mail/deliver the completed application to Fire Administration, 3910 Old Buckingham Rd, Suite C, Powhatan, VA 23139
- Visit the Powhatan County Sheriff’s Office Dispatch Center to be fingerprinted
- The company you choose will contact you to meet their membership and begin your public safety journey